Friday, April 16, 2010

ERs, Doctor Visits and Injections Oh, My!

This was another crazy week. It started with me going to the ER again. I had such a horrible coughing fit, that I could not stop. Chuck took me in and the fit was over when they gave me some medicine. I think that I might be over my pneumonia, finally.

On Tuesday, CJ had an asthma attach that landed him in the ER as well. He is also doing better, but the pollen is so strong this year that I am afraid that this is going to be a bad year for his asthma.

I received a call Tuesday saying that my mammogram was showing an abnormal spot. This was totally out of the blue. I was blessed in that they were able to do a diagnostic test the next day. Everything turned out fine, thanks be to God.

On Wednesday, I took Elizabeth to the pain doctor. He did some trigger point injections that were suppose to take some of the neck pain away. She has better range of motion, but the pain level is still high.

This brings us to today. I had to take my mom to the neurologist that has some experience with EDS. He did not think that my mom's problems with not breathing and central apnea were related to her EDS, again, thanks be to God. We still do not have a good answer about the girls. We will have to wait and see.

This afternoon I had to take Erica to the ophthalmologist for an eye exam. She struggles with letter reversals and reading at times. The doctor is the same one that I have gone to for over 15 years. She has done some research on EDS since I told her that I was diagnosed. She thinks that there might be some problems with her connective tissue in her eyes, but needs to re-test her in a month. She said that the lens in her eye might be dislocating from time to time causing reading problems periodically. Again, I was not ready for that one.

Erica has been in so much pain that she could not stay awake during the appointment. She basically fell asleep at 4 PM and did not even eat dinner. She went straight to bed when she got home. This usually means that she is in significant pain. Her neck has been very sore.

She also has tried to use a new set of braces that cover her feet all the way up to the mid part of her calf. Because of her skin being so fragile, she has already developed blisters. I hope that she will be able to use them eventually. We were hopeful that she could use them and get out of her wheelchair at school. We have had to suspend that idea for now. At least she has her power chair.

Tomorrow I have to take Elizabeth to see the geneticist and a flexion/extension MRI of her neck. It will be another long day.

Our mail lady is a wonderful person. She stopped to talk yesterday and I told her some of the many blessings that have come our way. She said that she could not believe that we can continue to smile, despite all of our troubles. But I think that we can appreciate the people around us more because of our difficulties. We know how to live in the moment better now after gaining perspective on what is truly and problem and what is not.

We have experienced too many blessings to get down too long, but it does get to me on days like these. I am happy that I do not have breast cancer, that my daughter is not completely blind and that we have friends and neighbors that are indispensable.

We just don't want to get through life, we want to find the good and enjoy it also long as possible, because we know that if we do not, we might not find those good time any time soon.

I hope you are able to count your blessings. I know I count many of you as our blessings and I thank you.

God Bless.

No comments:

Post a Comment