Sunday, December 26, 2010

A Sigh is Just a Sigh...

Our family had a good Christmas.  We ate too much; stayed up too long; made a mess; went to church; made cookies; saw family and friends and generally had a normal Christmas.  It was glorious!  I rode home in the back seat of our car with my son yesterday and he put his head on my shoulder and whispered, "Merry Christmas" with a sigh.  It was the best gift ever to hear- that contented sigh.

I cherish contented sighs.  I long to hear them.  I want to create them, though I know I cannot.  I do everything I can so that my kids will have a contented sigh.  We all do if we think of it.   A contented sigh means that all their needs are meet, physically and emotionally.  The sigh means that they are met so abundantly, that satisfaction is putting them in a relaxed happy place.  This is a place free of pain or worries.  A thought that all is right with the world right now.

I just wish I could hit the pause button on that moment and others like them.  I don't think I am the only one that does not hear contented sighs from those around me or makes them myself.  Why is that?  Why do I not sigh contentedly more often?  I have many things in which to be grateful, but do I sit back and contemplate them and recognize when I am contented, satisfied, or happy? 

No, I don't.  Usually I am thinking about the next thing I need to think about or worry about.  Worrying never produced one contented sigh.

No comments:

Post a Comment