Saturday, June 27, 2009

My daughter taught Donald Rumsfeld a manners lesson

A couple of summer ago, our family traveled to Washington, DC. We were there in the sweltering heat, waiting to go into the National Archives, where they store the Declaration of Independence, The Bill of Rights and the Constitution. We had to wait outside for a long time because a VIP was visiting the museum. This is not easy to do with three small children, but we felt it was important to see such historical documents. My husband and I began to tell the children what these documents were about and why they were so important. My 9 year old daughter then asked, "Don't all of those documents say that 'all men are created equal'?" To which I said, "Yes, you just defined irony!"

We finally go in to see the documents. There is a smaller part of the museum behind the documents that hold such displays as declassified conversations in the Oval Office and such. My 4 year old at the time was listening on the phone at one such display when in walks Donald Rumsfield, a host of secret service agents and foreign dignitaries. Mr. Rumsfield walked right up behind my daughter who was listening to the conversation on the phone. I tapped my daughter on the shoulder and said that the man behind her would like to have a turn listening on the phone. My little 4 year old strained her neck to look him dead in the eye and said, "I'm not done yet." and turned around.

At this point, he graciously stepped back, I tried to make a break from it. She had just insulted one of the most powerful men in the world and had gotten away with it. Looking around the room was some very amused agents and foreigners. Donald Rumsfeld just got told by a 4 year old!

We were still in shock when we made it to the gift shop. We told the lady who was working behind the counter the story and she let out with a scream! She looked down at my daughter and said, "Honey, will you come back tomorrow, Condelessa Rice is coming?!"

Later, my daughter asked if she was in trouble, to which we said no. "You had every right to have your turn. It is just funny because just about half of the world's population would have loved to tell him to wait his turn."

No comments:

Post a Comment