Saturday, September 19, 2009

Impossible Dorctor's Orders

Both girls went back to school on Friday. My oldest daughter was walking around, but has some pain and my youngest went in her wheelchair because she still had back pain and could not feel her feet.

Anticipating come kind of call, I made sure that I had my cell phone close at hand. I took my grandma to the dentist, and while I was there, I made some calls to various doctors. The spine surgeon really wanted to see my youngest daughter, but knowing that we would get down there and there would probably be nothing to see on the x-ray, I told the doctor we would keep her resting as much as possible.

I figured that my oldest would visit the nurse at some point during the day. A call came before I went to physical therapy for myself. She was asking for Tylenol for the pain. I did not get the call, until it showed that I had missed the call because my cell phone did not ring. I called the nurse back and said that it was fine for her to take the medicine. She was only a couple of hours from coming home.

I went to my appointment and kept an eye on the cell phone to make sure that I would get any messages. Well, it did not ring again and it was the school nurse for my oldest daughter. She left me a message saying that my daughter's hip was dislocated and she was up in her classroom. I called back the same number and it was the assistant principal's phone. I told him to tell the nurse to call an ambulance if it was obviously out of place. My husband called a few minutes later and said the squad was on its way because they could see the dislocation even through her clothes.

I got there as quickly as I could and attempted to get to the room. The ambulance had beat me to the school. She was on the third floor and they were trying to figure out how to get her out. She would not fit in the elevator because of the stretcher.

Eventually they got her down using a collapsible stretcher. By this time, all of the kids were in the hallway because school had just ended. I felt so bad for her, but she handled it very well. She remained calm, even when adults around her were freaking out.

To make a long story short, her hip had gotten back into place on it own. The x-ray did not show a break. This time the doctor suggested bed rest and use of a wheelchair. The problem is of course that her bedroom is upstairs and she does not have a wheelchair. She is still in a lot of pain, no way to get around. The doctor's orders again, sound good, but we have no way to follow them. Right now we don't know how she is even going to bathe. We also have not idea how long she needs to be on bed rest.

I just keep looking around the house and wonder how we are going to make all of this happen. My husband is suppose to leave town on Monday and I have two kids that are having trouble moving around. I can't help any of them because I have not had a chance to heal myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment