Friday, May 21, 2010

Thank God for the Ramp!

The strength that my children have because of all they have been through is amazing. I think it impossible to ignore the special training they are receiving at such a young age.

Wednesday, Elizabeth was at school and hurt her ankle while she shifted her weight in her wheelchair. She felt a pop in her foot swelled immediately. We had already discussed plans for her to stay at school all day the following day.

Here lies yet another bump in the road. After four hours spent at Children's, it was determined that she sprained her foot while in her chair. There was some question as to whether or not her tendon had actually said snapped off part of her bone.  But the doctors agreed it was best for her to keep moving it and keep walking on it. 

The next day she did return to school all day braces and all. She was in a lot of pain but the welcome she received from her classmates really lifted her spirits She said that everyone was very welcoming and warm to her. 

Last night I told her how proud I was of her.  I told her that she was a symbol of persistence and strength. She has an amazing ability to keep on keeping on. This is a strength that people can see in her and one that God is developing in her so that God can use it to further His Kingdom.

We hope this sprain is nearly a small nuisance and that she would be able to be walking with little pain soon.

I spoke to one of Elizabeth's teachers yesterday explaining our hopes and Elizabeth will not require a wheelchair at school next year. After I said this was a long pause in our conversation. I realize that it sounded ridiculous that I would hope that she would be able to walk at school without much trouble as she had just injure her ankle while sitting in a wheelchair. Maybe this is part of the grieving process or maybe I'm just fooling myself.  I cannot bring myself to believe that Elizabeth will have to stay in a chair for the rest of her life or even in the short term.

Elizabeth's power chair should be delivered on Tuesday We still do not have a vehicle to transport any of the power chairs, however, we are in the process of trying to solve that problem.

Erica, on the other hand, is struggling with much pain and many dislocations. We are noticing that she's not playing with her friends as much preferring to lie down or to sleep for many hours at a time. I think this is because she is in so much pain and her body is just not quite sure how to handle it. She's relying on her wheelchair more and more.

Thank God the ramp is in because it has been extremely useful for the last few weeks.

Erica is supposed to be in the water working on her aquatic therapy exercises. However both of my arms are in braces due to tendinitis and swelling in my wrists and arms. It will be another four weeks before I am able to help the girls with any of the work they are exercises This is frustrating as they cannot go for weeks without doing their exercises. Help will be arriving soon and way of the caregiver that will come in twice a week but I fear it will take too long to get everything started.

I took Erica back to the ophthalmologist yesterday. They are still finding it difficult to test Erica and her vision because she becomes very upset during the testing.  The doctor did say that there is some correlation between her vision problems EDS. She's not able to focus adequately with her near vision. We will experiment with set of reading glasses for her at the beginning of the next school  year.

It is more of an experiment that it then it is a definite diagnosis of eye problems. We hope that the glasses will help her with her reading and her school performance. It's just a bummer that she has one more barrier one more thing to overcome.

If there's some funky spelling will or words in this entry please excuse me. We purchased a voice recognition software program so that I'm able to type without pain. I think it works pretty well but I will let yet You be the judge.

No comments:

Post a Comment