Sunday, November 14, 2010

What Do You Say?

What do you say to your daughter when she has torn both of her hips and the doctors cannot do anything for her?  What do you say when you realize, and so does she, that she will probably always need a wheelchair; there will always be pain; things will never be "normal" for her?

One way to deal with it is to not talk about it.  Avoid the subject.  Just think of the positive. 

She does not ask me about the future, I catch her saying things like, "I don't want to have kids." or "I wouldn't want to do that anyway."  when she is talking to others.  I can hear the pain in her voice.

We have talked around the subject of the future by saying that no one knows the future, which is true.  I can't explain why God has chosen her to go through such hard times.

Her tale, will not be an ordinary tale.  The story of her life will be, most probably, filled with pain, sorrow, loss, and frustration. 

Because she is forced to reckon with such large obstacles early in life and the fact that she has hurdled most of them with the ease of an Olympic athlete, she will, most probably, also have a life of resolve, joy, perseverance, strength, and faith.

When you look at the reason we are here, to love God with all of your heart, mind and spirit and to love your neighbor as yourself, how do you think she will do?

In the middle of all of these storms, God has been very tangible to our family.  We have been held in prayer by so many people.  Supported with efforts that are well beyond human ability.  Our needs satisfied by the Creator of the universe, do you think God is going to waste this person? 

She received a letter in the mail the other day from the members of Congress stating that she has been nominated to represent this area at a leadership development program.  Obviously this speaks volumes about what kind of student she is that has missed so much of school, yet can still earn such high regard with her teachers.  But I think that there is a higher purpose, one that she could not "earn". 

I also do not want to paint an inaccurate picture.  She is in a lot of pain.  She gets very angry at times.  I get desperate to find answers and solutions to her pain.  We still struggle a great deal of the time.  I was quite upset last week that I could not despair because there is a great big hole in my house where an elevator with be installed soon along with a handicapped assessable bathroom.  To be honest, it kind of ticked me off that I could not despair even for a couple of minutes.

I walked a mile with Pleasure, She chattered all the way; But left me none the wiser, For all she had to say. I walked a mile with Sorrow And ne'er a word said she; But, oh, the things I learned from her When Sorrow walked with me!


Author: Robert Browning Hamilton

Source: Along the Road
 
God's promise to us is that all things work out for our good.  Don't let the questions of our hearts overthrow our faith.

No comments:

Post a Comment