Sunday, July 11, 2010

The Answer is Coming into View

So I have been praying for an answer regarding Elizabeth and her hip issues.  I think the answer is very clear, I just don't like it.  After her hospitalization and other difficulties, one of her doctors said that she had "little to lose" referring to the risk of surgery.

Elizabeth had been doing pretty well the last few days.  She was walking just a little, just on the first floor.  That all ended last night when she "popped out" again.  She is not able to get around at all.  She cannot even sit up in a regular wheelchair. It is difficult to tell her to lie down and not move when she's feeling okay, but when we do allow her to move and she gets injured again. It is like watching a slow train wreck. I also feel that no matter what we do her situation will not improve dramatically.

I just never thought we would be at this point with Elizabeth. She learned to walk, crawl, swim the same as any other child. But now when she supposed to be the strongest wheelchair seems to be her lot. It is kind of like the elephant in the room that we don't want to admit that is sitting and staring at us.

The structure of her family home will be forever altered. It seems that wheelchair ramps and asistive devices will have to be permanent. I know that might sound strange  and that I'm stating the obvious, but somewhere back in my brain I still was clinging to the hope that this was somehow temporary to leave as fast as it came.

So now we have to say to ourselves "so be it" and make the necessary changes. It's just heartbreaking to have to explain that to your 12-year-old daughter.

No comments:

Post a Comment