Monday, July 12, 2010

My Brother

Fourteen years ago my parents and I were planning a funeral instead of celebrating a birthday.  My brother died the day before he turned 27.  Today is his birthday.

Eric, James Eric, was a very smart, funny guy.  We were just building a bond as adults when his life was cut short.  I don't think there is a day that passes without a wish that my brother was here.  I miss the way he would send verbal jabs waiting for me to jab back.  It was playful banter that we both enjoyed and would claim victory over the other (though he was very quick).

He went to Texas Tech University and received a degree in history.  He was the first employee of the Underground Railroad Freedom Center.  If you go to the museum, his name is on one of the flames (they have his name as Eric James Bachmann which is wrong, it is James Eric Bachmann).  He is also listed as a member of the board in abstentia.

Upon his death, then Senator Rob Portman read his obituary into the minutes of Congress, a scholarship was created in his name and he received the Freedom Conductor Award.  Later, Rosa Parks and Desmond Tutu also received this award.

When my son, CJ, was assigned to do a report on his hero, he chose Eric.  CJ became an expert on his life.  He would correct me if I quoted his graduation date wrong or all of the places we lived.  It was ironic because CJ reminds me of my brother in so many ways.

"So here is to us and those like us, damn few left!"

No comments:

Post a Comment