Thursday, July 29, 2010

Ask For Believing....

So much has happened since my last post.  Unfortunately, it is getting increasingly difficult to type because my fingers do not do what I want them to do! 

The elevator is coming soon.  The architects and the vendor came to the house last week.  We should know soon when the work day will be scheduled. 

Because of a grant given to us from the Board of Developmental Disabilities, we can purchase a washer/dryer combo machine.  It is very good timing as our dryer quit working a couple of weeks ago.  We have literally let our underwear flap in the breeze for the last couple of weeks!

This combo machine allows us to put in clothes once and take them out of the machine after they are dry.  This feature will really help as the arm pain and loss of function continues to worsen for me.

I also received a call from the ladies at Cincinnati Children's Hospital Family Financial Advocacy department.  These are the ladies that have taken up the torch, so to speak, on dealing with the insurance company.  Beginning in the spring of 2008, I was spending hours on the phone with my insurance company because many of our claims were being denied.  The majority of the claims were centered around physical therapy.  I had logged close to 100 calls and was at the end of my patients and desperate for help. 

Not only did these ladies take over dealing with the insurance company, but they also helped me apply for BCMH, which is a state program for children with medical handicaps. 

Last week they called and said that all of the PT claims were approved.  At one time, this total was close to $10,000 and now we have a $0 balance!  We all cried on the phone.  It was such a long battle for me but also for them.  I think the insurance company thought we would just give up, but that was not the case.  Praise God!

They also told me that someone at Children's looked at Erica's wheelchair claim.  This claim was denied by our insurance company.  The company claimed that not enough information was submitted by Children's, therefore, it was denied.  I could not do anything on my end, so we resolved to try to pay it off.  Mind you, we still had several thousand dollars in bills that had nothing to do with PT or the wheelchair.  A hold was put on the account so that we could pay this total off first.

When it came time to start paying on the wheelchair again, the ladies told someone higher up the chain about the insurance denial on the wheelchair.  They told me last week that the balance was gone.  Where did it go?  They said they didn't know.  I asked would it come back, and they said it would not!  So in one short conversation, $15,000 of our medical bills went up is smoke!  Hallelujah!

When I told my family about the great news, I reminded CJ that God did answer our prayers.  He has prayed for a couple of years that our medical bills would just go away, and they did!  I told him that the prayers of children are sometimes more powerful than the prayers of adults.  When he asked why, I said that adults pray for things that they think are possible, kids, on the other hand, do not have those limits in their prayers.  They go ahead and ask for the "impossible" and believe God can do it.  What you ask for, believing will be given to you."

No comments:

Post a Comment